Follow Up Boss is the best place for all of your business contacts. From past clients to prospects to new leads, keep everyone you might do business with right inside of Follow Up Boss. Why? So you can keep in front of all of these relationships and potential transactions. The fortune is in the follow-up!
Our import tool enables you to upload all of your contacts directly from a CSV file in minutes. The best part? You'll be so organized that you no longer need to wonder what to do next.
How it Works
How to Import
- Go to Admin > Import and click the Import Your Contacts button
- Choose your CSV file and click Open
- Confirm Opt-In Consent > Yes, I Confirm
- Select fields to map information in Follow Up Boss & click Save & Continue
- Select Assigned Agent and Stage for import (if not specified in the file)*
- Add Tags to import (optional)**
- Start your import!
*We'll only use these values for any new contacts that will be created from the import. We will not update Assigned Agent or Stage for contacts that already exist in Follow Up Boss.
**The tag(s) will be added to all contacts included in the import (new and existing).
Additional Tips & Importing Information
Preparing Your File for Import
- Include a label for what data is in each column (ie email, name, etc) in Row 1 of the file
- Remove any instance of an agent's email address from the file. For example, if an agent uses email@example.com in their Follow Up Boss settings, do remove any instance of that email address from the file before import.
- Save the file as a CSV. A CSV (comma-separated value) file is a common data format for imports and exports. If your file is in another format like Excel .xls you'll want to convert it before uploading it to Follow Up Boss.
Data you can import
- Name - Can be one "Name" column or two columns for "First Name" and "Last Name."
- Phone numbers - Up to 6 columns of phone numbers (one per column) can be imported at once.
- Email addresses - Up to 6 columns of email addresses (one per column) can be imported at once.
- Mailing/Physical addresses - Up to 6 addresses can be imported at once. Addresses can be split across multiple columns, ie columns for Street, City, State, Zip. Use the "Address- home" or "address- Investment" fields to map contact addresses. For unit or apartment numbers, add to street address cell or import as Address Street 2.
- Date added - This will be the created date for the contact and can be in the past.
- Lead Source - This is where the lead is from. If no column is mapped to this, "Import" will be used as the Source.
- Assigned Agent - Who the contact belongs to or who is working with the contact. Whatever is in this column will also be added as a unique tag, ie "Imported Agent: Jane Doe," so you can easily find or update contacts after import.
- Assigned Lender - If your account has Lenders, you can import the lender assignments. Whatever is in this column will also be added as a unique tag, ie "Imported Lender: John Smith," so you can easily find or update contacts after import.
- Stage - Stage is important for defining your database. Importing will not create new stages (the Account Owner can create new stages). Whatever is in this column will also be added as a unique tag, ie "Imported Stage: Warm," so you can update stages easily with mass actions after importing.
- Tags - Useful for data that groups and identifies many contacts across your system. Multiple tags can be in one column of your file. You can also map more than one column to Tags in a single import. A comma, semicolon, or vertical pipe can be used in the file to separate tags. Examples:
- Sphere, Top Referrer, Holiday Card List
- Sphere; Top Referrer; Holiday Card List
- Sphere | Top Referrer | Holiday Card List
- Background - Best for high-level notes. you can map as many fields to Background as you want. The column heading will be added with the content.
- Notes - Best for a "catch-all" of data you want to import that doesn't match another field type. Notes are searchable in Follow Up Boss. You can map as many fields to notes as you want. The column heading will be added with the note content.
- Custom Fields - Best for data like Birthdays or other fields you want on all contacts. A new custom field can be created by an import. The best practice is to pick an existing custom field before creating a new one to keep your custom fields organized.
- Note: An import will overwrite custom field data for existing contacts. Avoid importing special characters such as #, $, @, ! etc. for system performance.
- If you are creating a new custom field, choose the appropriate field type:
- Date - Supports a MM/DD/YY or MM/DD/YYYY format.
- Number - Will only accept a whole number. No decimals or other special characters.
- Text - Accepts any text.
- Drop-down - If you are creating a drop-down field on import, the choices in the drop-down will be created using the data in your CSV. This will happen in the order the file is processed and you can't change the order of the choices later. What does that mean?? If you care what order the drop-down choices are in, set them up under Admin > Custom Fields before importing.
- Relationships - You can import up to 6 different relationships per contact/row. If there are two relationships for one contact on the file being imported (on separate rows with the primary contact email), Follow Up Boss will create an additional relationship automatically. The available fields for Relationships include the following:
- Relationship # First Name
- Relationship # Last Name
- Relationship # Type
- Relationship # Phone
- Relationship # Phone - Type
- Relationship # Email
- Relationship # Email - Type
- Relationship # Address - Street
- Relationship # Address - City
- Relationship # Address - State
- Relationship # Address - Zip
- Relationship # Address - Country
- Relationship # Address - Type
- Property Address - if you want to import an address the contact inquired about, use the "Property - " fields. These addresses are added to the contact's timeline as an Inquiry, not to the contact info.
Data we recommend skipping
Focus on the most important data that you will reference/use as you continue to work with your contacts and skip any data that is immediately outdated, ie Last Login, Viewed Properties, etc unless you are going to use that data to filter or prioritize your contacts.
Data that can't be imported
- Collaborators - if your file has a collaborator assignment, ie Listing Agent, import it to a custom field. Then use mass actions to find and update the collaborators.
Go to Admin > Imports and click View past imports.
You will be presented with a list of all past imports. Click on the numbers in each column to view those contacts.
Note: If you imported a file and you can't see all the contacts when clicking the number on this page, they might have been assigned to another user. Contact the owner or admin of your team to confirm.
If you have an assigned agent column, with the full name of the agent (matching what is in our system), then it will be assigned to that specific agent. Otherwise, you can choose to set an agent on the second step of the import (see setting default above). Don't worry if it doesn't get assigned correctly, you can always reassign contacts after the import!
As long as your contacts are in a CSV format, we can import them. We do, however, specialize in importing contacts from the following:
We will merge contacts based on the following criteria:
- If the email address matches, we will combine the contact info
- If the phone number AND name match, we will combine the contact info
If the system detects a match based on one of the criteria above, the contact will NOT be duplicated.
Note: If an import updates any pre-existing contacts, the added info to that contact cannot be removed even if the import is deleted.
Go to Admin > Import > View Past Imports and click the trash can/delete icon on the respective row of the import that you wish to remove.
Note: An import can only be deleted for 14 days after the original import date. After that, we are not able to delete the import.
To assign an import to a pond, follow the steps below.
- Go to Admin > Import
- Select the File for import
- Map the columns > Save and Continue
- Add a specific Tag to the import, such as the pond name that the leads need to be assigned to > Import
- After the file upload is complete, go to the People tab and filter to the added tag
- Use Mass Actions to reassign the leads to the Pond
Temporarily, yes! We will store your CSV file for 14 days after the import. You can click on the name of the file under Admin > Import > View Past Imports to download the file.
To stay compliant with the FCC TCPA laws, there must be opt-in consent before calling or texting a number. The FCC's Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) of 1991 can be found here.
Need help importing contacts?
If you need any help, email a .csv file of your contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to import them for you!
Note: By sending a file to our team for import, you acknowledge the contacts in the file have previously consented to be contacted by you.