Importing your contacts is the best way to pick up where you left off with them. Use the tips below to get the information you need in Follow Up Boss and avoid the clutter of details you don’t need!
Will I lose data when I move my contacts over to Follow Up Boss?
When importing contacts, you can choose what you want (or don't want) to keep.
Contact information is the most important to import. Use Phone, Email, and Address fields to import contact info. Don't use custom fields for contact info!
For property inquiries, use the Property fields.
Skip importing information that is not important for you to keep (like Last Login, or Properties Viewed) unless you're going to use that info to filter your database.
- Notes: If you map data here, it will be left as a note on the contact. We recommend placing more general data in this field.
- Tags: Useful for data that groups and identifies many contacts across your system.
- Background: If you have data that describes the contact, we recommend putting that here.
- Add Text Field: This will create a custom field that you can fill in with any important information about your lead.
- Add Date Field: If you have any other dates that are important to your leads, you can add this field!
- Add Number Field: Choose this option if you wish to have a custom field containing numbers. Text cannot be used in this field.
- Add Dropdown Field: Do you have lenders you want to add to your account? Create a custom dropdown field to choose from the different lenders you work with.
* The import does not create new Stages. If you are trying to import to a Stage that doesn't exist, the contacts will be put in the Lead stage and tagged with the stage name from your file. The account owner can add a custom stage and you can use the tag and mass actions to update the contacts' stages.
* Only the first 300 columns will be imported.
After choosing which columns from your CSV you wish to map to Follow Up Boss, we'll check to see if you set an Assigned Agent and Stage column. If not, we'll ask you to choose the Agent and/or Stage for us to use.
We'll only use these values for any new contacts that will be created from the import. (We will not update Assigned Agent or Stage for existing contacts from an import.)
You can also use this screen to add any tags to contacts in the import. The tag(s) will be added to all contacts included in the import (new and existing).
How do I find contacts from a past import?
Head to Admin > Imports and click on "View past imports".
You will be presented with a list of all past imports. Click on the numbers in each column to view those contacts.
Note: If you imported a file and you can't see all the contacts when clicking the number on this page, they might have been assigned to the wrong user. Contact an admin at your company to have them reassigned to you.
What is a CSV File?
- To convert a file using Microsoft Excel, you can follow these instructions.
- To convert a file using Numbers on iOS or Mac, you can follow these instructions
Who will the contacts be assigned to?
If you have an assigned agent column, with the full name of the agent (matching what is in our system), then it will be assigned to that specific agent. Otherwise, you can choose to set an agent on the second step of the import (see setting default above). Don't worry if it doesn't get assigned correctly, you can always reassign contacts after the import!
What CRM systems can I import contacts from?
As long as your contacts are in a CSV format, we can import them. We do, however, specialize in importing contacts from the following:
- Boom Town
- Commissions Inc
- Keller Williams eEdge
- Market Leader
- Money Tree
- Open Home Pro
- Tiger Leads
- Top Producer
- Zillow Premier Agent
Why should I have all my contacts in Follow Up Boss?
While not all contacts might be active right now, that doesn't mean you should just forget about them. Discover and engage your past leads using our smart lists.
Can I send all of the contacts I've imported a mass email
You can send out mass emails with our Batch Email feature.
What if I have duplicate contacts or a contact that already exists in Follow Up Boss?
We will merge contacts based on the following criteria:
- If the email address matches, we will combine the contact info
- If the phone number AND name match, we will combine the contact info
How do I cancel an import?
- Click Admin > Import > View Past Imports
- Click the trash can/delete icon on the respective row of the import that you wish to remove
Need help importing contacts?
No need to fear, if you need any help, email a .csv file of your past clients or leads to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will import them for you!