Use these steps if you have already tried to integrate your website using the steps in the Guide to Integrating Your Own Website and need to customize how your leads are parsed into Follow Up Boss.
Create the Custom Email Parser
The goal is to map the fields from your form to the fields in Follow Up Boss. The finished email will look similar to this:
These steps will work for most form tools that allow you to customize the email notification. Your form tool's verbiage may vary, but the process will be the same.
- Log into your website's backend.
- Navigate to the Forms section.
- Find the Notification for one of the Forms, and edit it. (Note: You do not need to edit the external-facing form; only the notification email needs to be edited.)
- Put your Follow Up Boss Lead Email Address (the one ending in @followupboss.me) in the Recipient Email field. This way new lead notifications from this form will go directly to the Follow Up Boss email parser.
- Delete all text from the body of the email notification.
- Copy the blank copy of the Advanced Lead Email Format from here.
- Paste the blank Advanced Lead Email Format in the body of the notification email.
Note: Do NOT delete any rows from the email template. Instead, simply skip the ones you don't need.
- Use the Merge Fields provided by your form tool to match the form's data to the appropriate field of the email.
- Fill out any other fields on the email notification body, such as Source.
- Save the updated notification email.
Repeat steps 2-10 for all the forms on your website.
Complete a Test
- Fill out one of the forms on your website. Be sure to use a unique Name, Phone, and Email address to be sure a new lead will be created from the form. (Follow Up Boss automatically deduplicates leads that already exist.)
- In your Follow Up Boss account, go to Admin > Lead Flow to see the new Source and most recent lead. This is where you can use information like Tags to route leads.
- Click on the test lead's name to view the contact.
- If something doesn't look correct, return to your form editor and adjust the notification email. Remember to either delete this test lead or use completely unique information on the next test lead you send in.